Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Daily Mail

Yesterday afternoon I was interviewed by Olinka for an article in the Daily Mail about the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill which is contentious to say the least. The reason someone like me was approached was because a lot of the arguments in favour of one part of the Bill, the creation of hybrid embryos, suggest that it will help scientists find cures for diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinsons. I did not comment on the other aspects of the Bill.

It was really quite hard, being put on the spot and totally out of the blue, but I think the article conveys most of my thoughts and fears. I find it very unsettling to think of the moral issues surrounding the creation of human/animal embryos but I also appreciate that Science needs to progress. One thing I was certain of is that MPs should be allowed a 'free' vote (ie they don't have to vote the way their Party Leader wants them too) as many people would not want to support the Bill because of their religious beliefs. The article appears here.

One funny thing was when the photographer arrived he was somewhat dishevelled - he'd been lurking in the undergrowth on Paul McCartney's estate in Peasmarsh, which isn't far away from us, trying to get photos of wild boar. Talk about from the sublime to the ridiculous!! The photo of me is one of the worst ever too, but never mind.

Tomorrow I have a live interview with Neil Pringle on BBC Southern Counties Radio at 7am! At least it is more publicity for the Alzheimer's Research Trust.

I must take a photo of my Autumn Rose and post it tomorrow as I am pleased with the way it's progressing, albeit very slowly.