Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Great Outdoors

Today I was scheduled to run 15 miles and I chose to run it as a cross country route as my first marathon of the year is the Steyning Stinger in March. I ran it last year and the weather was vile for the whole 26.2 miles. Today was an appropriate training session as the ground was sodden, with flood water lying on many of the fields. The arable fields were as claggy as can be with mud that sucked one of my shoes off at one point. One footpath was totally impassable with a torrent of water cascading down it with no way of passing along the side so I had to do a 2 mile detour.

There were many stiles on the route, all of which were very slippy and it's a miracle I didn't fall over. The other problem was the wind - it was very strong but thankfully not as bad as it has been over the last week. This meant there were branches strewn all over the place and I frequently had to move them out of the way to continue along the path. On the plus side, at least it wasn't raining!

I headed out at 7:30am thinking I'd just be out for 3 hours but I didn't get home until 11:15am so was absolutely cream-crackered and spent the afternoon just sitting knitting.

No comments: