Wednesday, September 5, 2007

At Last!

I've finally finished the second glove. Hallelujah! I have learnt so much doing these and the second one fits me much better than the first as I had the confidence to ignore the pattern instructions and amend them to fit my chunky little hands.

There are a couple of things I would change - the way the fingers are finished (I don't like the lumpiness of the 8 stitches drawn together and will look for another method for future use) and the severity of the thumb shaping. If you look at the right hand thumb you will see what it looked like when I followed the instructions and it looks quite pointed. On the left hand I changed the shaping and I think it looks much better. So much so that I am going to rip the right hand thumb and do it like the left. No sooner said than done I had chopped off the offending thumb ready for re-shaping. It's finished now but I won't bore you with another photo!

My tension also has changed between the 2 gloves. On the first one it was much looser whilst I got used to the 2 handed FairIsle technique. I haven't blocked them yet so they still look a bit lumpy but overall I am very pleased.

Barney was getting bored by all the typing.........









Whilst Tinker waited patiently. Bless!

1 comment:

TutleyMutley said...

I STILL haven't finished my second glove! Well done you - and I love the shaping of your thumb - MUCH more like the actual shape of my thumb too. Would you put your version on your blog? Or is that too cheeky.
BTW - I DID manage to run the New Forest Half Marathon - but slowly! I did it in 2hrs38min, so I'm well chuffed. I think I'll stick to 10K for a while and build up my stamina a bit before doing another. My short legged friend 'Gurnie' did it in 3hrs3mins and is muttering about marathons. NO I say, no!