Thursday, May 31, 2007

Felting Fun

I was sorting through some old knitwear to take to the charity shop and was left with these items which weren't really in a good enough condition to sell. As they would have ended up in a jumble sale instead I decided to re-use them and have a go at felting so off they went into the washing machine for a good old hot wash!

They were all so old and matted anyway that I couldn't undo the seams so I just got busy with the scissors when they had shrunk. The first thing that occurred to me was that the yoke from my fairisle cardigan would make a smashing rug for the cats so I cut it out like this. I think I'll just add some crochet into the centre (I've got some dark blue DK yarn in my stash) and perhaps around the edge and that should be enough.

The remaining cardigans and waistcoat are destined to become tote bags of some sort. I've got a couple of shapes in mind and there's a great fringe from around the waistcoat that will make a good long shoulder strap.

No comments: